I know, we all make the same New Year’s Resolutions in January and we (mostly) intend to keep them. We’re finally going to get in shape and rock a bikini come summer.
It’s cliche but its also a reality for so many of us to not just get better bods, but to get healthier too. In fact it’s the health thing that I’m actually after. So I decided to join a gym.
First I put together a list if requirements I needed in a gym:
1. Child care- this is by far the most important part
2. Classes- Not that I’d ever tried it, but I really, really wanted to try Zumba. I’ve done machine workouts, and even had a personal trainer a few times, but I’ve never stuck with those routines. Plus, if there are lots of people working out I get intimidated.
3. Low meathead population- not a super high priority, but gyms with tons of guys in tight shirts pumping iron and saying things like “I pick things up and put them down” make me uncomfortable.
4. Showers and sauna- again not a high priority, but I’d decided I’d use the gym for a bit of Mommy time and reading in the sauna is a decent way to burn some calories, detox, and relax.
5. Affordable- I’m not sure why I put this so low on the list, but it’s a big deal. My insurance reimburses me if I go 50 times in 6 months, which is roughly 2 times a week.
6. Good location- nothing too far from home, or too far from preschool.
I asked around and talked to my friends and family about their experiences and the rates they play. Turns out there’s an LA Fitness near me ten minutes from home, on the route I take to preschool. Plus they are very female friendly, and the meatheads don’t dominate. Woot!
The rates are pretty good too. I had to do a bit of negotiating. I refuse to pay initiation fees and can’t afford more than $40/ month so the sales guy worked with me and got me exactly what I needed. No freebies, like a towel, or water bottle or a bag like I’ve gotten in the past, but that’s not a biggie for me. In the end I felt proud of my negotiating skills and I’m really happy with my choice.
Are you a gym member? Tell me about your gym, how you chose it and your feelings about it. If you’re not, what’s holding you back, and what are you looking for in a gym.